Tuesday 27 August 2013

and Brisbane, Australia - Part 5

Brisbane, Australia.

Day 8: Mt Mee and surrounds.

The weekend rolled around again and it was time again for another drive into the country around Brisbane for some more sight seeing. This time we headed north west into the mountains with a few planned and unplanned stops along the way.

The first place we stopped at was Old Petrie Town. We made a wrong turn and decided to check it out before heading back in the right direction. We had a nice wander around and the blacksmiths invited us to watch them pour some molds, even though they weren't open for a show. They also were kind enough to help us with directions to where we needed to go and off we went with a few gifts in hand.

Stilt house at Petrie Town.

From here we continued to Bullocky's Rest at North Pine Dam. The view was stunning and it didn't feel as if we were in Queensland. It reminded me of a previous holiday to Victoria and Tasmania.

North Pine Dam

Another beautiful overcast day.

From here we continued along some amazing winding country roads. We found an antique store to explore and then pulled over to a fruit cart to pick up some fresh pineapples.

The best pineapples.

When we were selecting our pineapples a car of Irish tourists pulled over to buy some as well. They were a bit surprised when we told them that the pineapples are sold under an honesty system. You choose your fruit and put the correct change into the box. We used the pineapples that night to make Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple Skewers. We didn't have the coconut yoghurt, so I mixed coconut milk powder, as per the instruction on the pack, but stirred it into Greek yoghurt. I also just used plain brown sugar, no name brands here. I also created my own version with strawberries and used a balsamic vinegar mix on top.

Fields of pineapples.

I was pretty excited to see another Queensland icon. Pineapples growing!

Our next destination was Dayboro for some shopping and some lunch. We had lunch at the Crown Hotel, where we both ordered a pie and chips. The meal come with some amazing gravy and the pie was also fantastic. We wandered up and down the streets and in and out of sweet little antique shops, clothes stores and home ware shops. I purchased a fantasic handmade apron from the local arts and crafts store which i absolutely love. Before leaving we popped into the bakery for a sweet treat. 

The Crown Hotel.

From here we went in search of the Mt Mee lookout. We followed the Mount Mee Road from Dayboro to D'aguilier, stopping along the way and making a couple of wrong turns in search of the look out. We finally found it but we both decided that we enjoyed some of the views along the way better.

The view from our wrong turn.


Wild flowers


Amazing country side.


Me in the way of the view.


I love old rusty fences.


The view of the valley.


Me and the view.


The GPS had this track as a road.


We wandered up it to say hi to the horses.


These horses have a stunning view to enjoy.


Finally, the view from Mt Mee lookout.

After returning back to Brisbane, my friend and I headed out later that evening to visit the Mt Coot'tha lookout to enjoy Brisbane by night.

Brisbane.

Day 9: City Botanical Gardens and fly out day.

Well it was my final day in Brisbane, so my friend and I headed back into the city for one final time. We  headed in for brunch and to visit the City Botanical park for a walk and round.

We went to The Pancake Manor and after a short wait in line we sat down in this converted chapel for breakfast. It wasn't until I read the menu did it hit me that I had been to a pancake parlor with the same menu just a year before in Sydney, Pancakes on The Rocks.

St Luke's Church now converted into the restaurant.


Me looking rather chuffed with my order.

I went the Regular stack Bananarama; Three buttermilk pancakes served with grilled bananas, butterscotch sauce, cream and vanilla ice cream. Of course I finished it all. I don't like it when food defeats me. Then we wandered (waddled) down to the gardens for a stroll around.

Lilly pads and ducks.


The Brisbane River.


Arbour.


A cute, old, little fountain.

We then found a nice spot to laze on the grass for a while and just enjoy the clouds float by.

My view from the ground.

From here we had a wander through the shops so I could find a souvener for my plus one, and then we wandered to Le Bon Choix for some macrons and cake before heading home so I could pack and rest before my flight.

Another drinking fountain outside of Le Bon Choix.


The view areoplane form my seat.

The flight was uneventful. I recommend taking your own in-ear headphones, as they ones they lend you are pretty pathetic. They barely cut out any noise and you need subtitles on the movies.

Well, that is it. My Brisbane holiday. I had an amazing time, and ate a lot of food and I can't wait until I get to return and hopefully head north to Cairns and see the Great Barrier Reef.

Until next time.
Love, love Elle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...