Thursday 6 December 2012

and The Loose Goose - Nannup

and a weekend with donkeys
The Loose Goose

I am back from my latest weekend away and I am still feeling the effects of the lack of sleep. I took Friday off work and met up with a group of friends and convoyed down to Nannup to stay at The Loose Goose. We stayed there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much we decided to do it all again.

On the way down we stopped in at Bridgetown for lunch at the Bridgetown Hotel. The Bridgetown Hotel is a stunning old pub with a great menu. I also took a walk through the town and went into a few shops, one being Ooh La Lollipop. A cute little lolly shop with treats from all over the world. I grabbed a box of French Truffles as well as some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and some chocolate covered sultanas. Bridgetown is a cute little town and is one of my favourite places to visit in the South West. I think I may have a lot of favourite places in the South West.

Looking from the Bridgetown Hotel to another hotel

Chicken Schnitzel Burger at the Bridgetown Hotel

From here we continued on to Nannup to spend the next two nights. The Loose Goose has three Chalets which hold up to 22 people between them. There is also a function center there that were able to use because we booked out all three chalets. The function center has a kitchen as well as a outside area for barbecues and is full of puzzles, games and a ping pong table. We spent every night hanging out planning chess, listening to music and eating dinner.


Row boat on the lake at The Loose Goose

The Loose Goose has lots of old things laying around 

Kid and Lamb

Emoo the hand reared emu

Lovely old ute

Loose Goose Lake

Feeding the donkeys


The alpaca's caught on to us feeding the donkeys




Saturday we headed out to the Cheeky Monkey for lunch. The Cheeky Monkey is a brewery, resturaunt and function center in the Margret River Wine region. It is set within farm land and has it's own lake. I tried the Apple cider. I would have preferred the pear cider but they were all out. It was lovely and crisp and went great with my Aztec Burger. I love trying interesting burgers and this one is a rice and corn crumbed quinoa, chai seed, amaranth and black bean burger on a fresh roll topped with lettuce, tomato, avocado and eggplant Kasundi served with fries and chilli jam. Simply yum.

Aztec Burger

Tea and a chocolate caramel biscuit slice at The Cheeky Monkey

After lunch a few of us continued on to go some taste testing. We stopped at The Margret River Chocolate Factory then onto Providore, which has just opened up next door. Providore has an amazing range of chutneys, olive oils, food bases as well as wine and some very strong chocolate liqueurs  I know, I taste tested them all. From here we ventured to The Grove Distiller for some more liqueur taste testing. For just $5 you can try 3 different liqueurs and a cocktail shot. I have been once before so this time around I tried out different ones. The Raspberry was nice and refreshing. The Chai was a little strong for me. I am not a fan of cloves and prefer my chai to be a little more subtle.  I also tried the butterscotch which was absolute heaven and for my cocktail I had the Bluefrog which was also nice. For each drink they allow you to taste the drink straight and then provide a mixer for it. For the butterscotch they mixed in a little white chocolate liqueur and some cream and it made a great thing unbeatable. It was called Killer Caramel Koala and it was just that. A Caramel Koala in liquid alcoholic form.

Looking through to the chocolate room at the Chocolate Factory

Chocolate Factory

Providore

The Grove

The next stop was The Candy Cow in Cowaramup. The Candy Cow is one of my favourite destinations and I don't think I have ever left without buying at least a little fudge. Next door to the Candy Cow is Margaret Riviera which is another great gourmet shop selling some amazing Dukka, cheese and a mountain of other delicious treats.

Sunday we headed home via Busselton and stopped in at Occy' Brewery for lunch. I had, had enough of drinking by now so I stuck to the cool drinks and tea. I had the Sweet Potato Pizza which was so great I ate the whole thing, except 1 piece I left the plus one have. I was feeling a little greedy afterwards so I also had Devoneshire Tea. You may think that this is weird at a brewery, and it kinda is, but the brewery is set on the grounds of Newton House. Newton House is a stunning old country style house which the brewery uses for it's kitchen.

Newton House

My pizza


Once I got home a did a little unpacking then napped for a few hours.

If you haven't spent a weekend away in the South West recently you should give a thought. It isn't just wine anymore, (which wouldn't be a problem) it also has some amazing food, beer and liqueurs and everything is a short car drive away. If you plan on tasting the alcohol I suggest roping someone into being the designated driver or check out any one of the large range of tours available.


Until next time.
Love, love Elle.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...