Wednesday 7 November 2012

and the sun did shine

Melbourne Cup at Ascot

Yesterday was the Melbourne Cup, Australia's richest horse race, and I, along with many others headed to the nearest race course to join in on the festivities. The social club at work organised us a table in a special area where we enjoyed access to our own bar, toilets and betting area, as well as a buffet lunch and buffet desert. It wasn't the VIP area, but it was good enough. Being able to have a relaxing area to sit in the shade made my second ever Melbourne Cup experience a good one. I went to a country race around 7 years ago but I don't remember too much about the day. 

The weather for the past few days has been pretty miserable. The late spring showers threatened to ruin the day, but after a rainy night the sun came out and it was beautiful. The ground was a little damp in places and my shoes did get a little muddy, but otherwise the day was perfect. I do recommend paying the extra money for a special guest area if you can. I didn't really drink, just two half glasses all day, and I chose not to bet, but from what I could see there was never any lines. Although, when the buffet came out there was a huge line. The food, in my opinion, was really good. I did eat half my weight in lunch, and the other half in dessert. 

So now to the outfit. After spending a night in the City shopping to find some shoes and a bag to go with my fasinator I brought from Portmans, I ended up buying a new fasinator and then getting shoes and a bag to match. I struggled to find much of anything in 'cornflower blue'. So I changed to mint.



Waterlily Panelled Fit ' N ' Flare Dress - NF by Nicola Finetti
Bolero - Forever New (2 years ago)
Fasinator - Review

I also wore these flats. 
Diana Ferrari - Ashie Mint Ballet Flat

I have wanted mint flats for a while and I have seen these for months, but they still aren't my dream mint colour. But they will do for now until I find something more in line with what I imagine.

I teamed the outfit with a simple pearl necklace and dropped pearl earrings and a pearl studded cuff. All of which I have had for a very long time and have no idea where I got them from.

Cuff and Olga Berg clutch


Lovely day

I wish I knew more about horses. I should. My pop was a trainer.

Finishing line

I am very glad of a few things from the day. One, I didn't get burnt and two, I didn't disgrace myself like many of the other punters. 

I hope everyone else enjoyed their day, whether they were out and about or watching the TV in their office.

Love, love Elle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...